Saturday, January 12, 2013

Canola instead of Olive...

Who watched "The Magic School Bus" growing up? Ms. Frizzles catchphrase is "get messy, take chances, make mistakes..." and have a great time doing so. I need to have that attitude more in my life. It's so easy to get uptight. But instead of doing so I simply need to smile and laugh things off. Learn from my mistakes and then just let go. Not always easy to do, but a very helpful school to have.

This week was a crazy one... especially one day in particular. The window in my apartment bedroom had a bad leak, and I went to let my puppy out at my boyfriend's house and found that he learned to jump over the gate in the kitchen and had ripped apart the living room. He also decided that the guest room made a good bathroom.













 I have continued to try different recipes cooking... and am learning ITS OK if things don't turn out perfect, or if people do not like what you cook. I attempted to make some garlic noodles with the Maple Salmon recipe I posted before. Right after I poured in the oil the recipe called for in the noodles I realized I had used Canola Oil instead of EVOO. And I had used TOO Much. Oops. A little extra EVOO wouldn't have been bad. But noodles covered in and dripping Canola oil... that wasn't the tastiest thing I've ever created. I also made my own version of a carrot/apple salad, because I needed to use up those ingredients. I only added mayo and black pepper, and while I enjoyed it others did not. So that meal was a dud. However I allowed myself to laugh about it. I'm learning it's very very important to stay light-hearted when I cook. It's something I enjoy and I don't need to make it into something that's stressful, or something that defines me. Just because people don't love my carrot/apple slaw creation does not mean that they don't love ME.

Life definitely can be messy, and things do not go as planned. Smile, let your dog dig in the dirt, and the wash off the mess later. Live your life to the fullest, don't put limits and boundaries on the possibilities that are out there. Make the memories that will stay with you for the rest of your life and forget the days that don't go like you planned. They are just part of the journey.

No comments: